… carrots and cucumbers and spinach.
That’s right kiddo, more seeds went into the ground today.
- 96x Cosmic Purple Carrots (plan to thin that to 48), outdoors @ ~1.5″ spacing (16 holes per square foot)
- 8x Edmonson Pickling Cucumbers, indoors @ 2″ spacing
- 18x Bloomsdale Spinach, (plan to thin to 9)
And that’s it. Though I just looked at our spreadsheet and noticed that Arugula was supposed to go outside last weekend. But now its dark, so it’ll likely have to wait ’til at least tomorrow.
Seriously. A lot of digging. All in an 11’x3′ area. Today, I double-dug the first of our vegetable garden beds (using the method prescribed by John Jeavons). There’s a lot of sweat involved in that. Our soil is super clay-y, so much so that I ended up breaking our spading fork about half-way through. The compost we added to the soil wasn’t quite finished, but I think it’ll help. And there were a LOT of worms crawling around down there who promise to help finish the job, even though I accidentally cut some of their friends in half.
In other news, we started more seeds this weekend. Indoors, we started tomatoes and basil, outdoors we started some spinach.
- Cherokee Purple x 10
- Matt’s Wild Cherry x3 (seriously, did you think we could pass that variety up when we saw it on the shelf at Maple Ave?)
- Bloomsdale x 54 (two per hole, we’re hoping for 27 plants)
And that’s all, for now. I’ll take some pictures of the garden bed soon – maybe after things have (fingers crossed) started coming up.